Banktoad is a Toad and member of the Toad Brigade who appears in Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2. In Super Mario Galaxy, Bowser attacks the Mushroom Kingdom during the Star Festival, and kidnaps Peach. Luigi and the Toad Brigade get abducted into space. Luckily Mario finds the Toad Brigade in the Honeyhive Galaxy, and brings them to the Comet Observatory. Here they, along with the Lumas construct Starshroom spaceships, that they use to travel across the universe in order to help Mario find the Power Stars. Banktoad can be found in certain galaxies where he can be seen exploring, digging for Coins with the help of his pickax or helping Mario on his journey. In Super Mario Galaxy 2, Mario collects lots of Star Bits. The player can deposit them to Banktoad if they wish to. However, Banktoad appears after the player visits the Spin-Dig Galaxy on a regular basis. Banked Star Bits collect interest, which comes in handy when the player needs to withdraw some to feed the Hungry Lumas. Banked Star Bits transfer across save files, so if the player starts a new game they can keep the Star Bits they have in the bank. Banktoad's appearance also changes depending on the amount of Star Bits you give him. However, Banktoad can only hold up to 9999 Star Bits.
- 0-999 Star Bits- Banktoad holds a silver Star Bit with both hands.
- 1000-1999 Star Bits- He wears glasses with his hands empty.
- 2000-3999 Star Bits- He carries a round shield with the image of a crown on the front and a spear nearly twice as tall as himself.
- 4000-5999 Star Bits- He slings a pickax over his left shoulder.
- 6000-7999 Star Bits- He puts on goggles and a snorkel
- 8000-9998 Star Bits- He attaches the flashlight part of a miner's helmet to a strap he places around his head.
- 9999 Star Bits- Banktoad remains in his miner outfit.