Canopy Cannons is the fifth level of Donkey Kong Country Returns as well as the fifth level of the Jungle (Donkey Kong Country Returns). This level involves the Kongs (Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong) shooting through many Barrel Cannons, some of move back and fourth or tilt when entered. Many large stone structures are also around the level, and most of them are found in the path of the Barrel Cannons, forcing the Kongs to smash through them. Other obstacles that appear in the level are large, spiky stone blocks that bounce on drum-like trampolines. Enemies in this level are Awks, Rawks, Frogoons, Tiki Zings and Screeching Pillars. In Time Attack mode, a time of 1:02:00 is needed to earn a gold medal, a time of 1:13:00 to earn a silver medal, and a time of 1:35:00 for a bronze medal.
The level begins in the jungle, where many strange item-containing plants are found growing all over the place. Some stone blocks are on the pathway through the jungle, as well as two Frogoons followed by an Awk. The edge of the cliff is immediately after the Awk, however, a Barrel Cannon floats next to it. If the Kongs get in this Barrel Cannon and fire themselves out of it, they land in a Barrel Cannon in the background, which then shoots them through a stone wall to a Barrel Cannon that moves up and down when the Kongs enter it. The Barrel Cannon can be missed causing the Kongs to fall to their doom. As mentioned earlier, the Barrel Cannon can move the Kongs upwards and fire them through another stone wall and the letter K of the K-O-N-G Letters. An Auto-Fire Barrel on the other side of the stone wall will catch the Kongs and fire them to a Barrel Cannon in the foreground. This moving Barrel Cannon moves upwards, helping the Kongs aim at the next Barrel Cannon. The Kongs, when aiming at the correct target, can fire themselves to the next Barrel Cannon. The next Barrel Cannon (when it has caught the Kongs) points itself downwards and moves right, helping the Kongs aim at their target: the next Barrel Cannon. The Kongs should then fire themselves to the next Barrel Cannon. This next Barrel Cannon will turn right facing a ring of moving Bananas, a Banana Coin, and a Tiki Zing. With caution (since the Barrel Cannon is already aiming at the target, the next Barrel Cannon), the Kongs should fire themselves to the next Barrel Cannon, most likely, earning an item (Bananas, Banana Coin). When the Kongs enter the next Barrel Cannon, the ring of the enemy and objects fall, allowing the Barrel Cannon to move under the next Barrel Cannon, which they must shoot to. This Barrel Cannon aims directly at the next Barrel Cannon, however, a spiky stone block is bouncing on a drum-like trampoline between them. When the spiky stone block falls downward, the Kongs should shoot themselves to the next Barrel Cannon. The next Barrel Cannon fires them onto solid ground on an Awk. In this area, there are many red, propeller-like plants at the edge of the cliff and another strange plant near a dandelion. After a group of spikes, the apes come up to two Frogoons and a DK Barrel. Immediately after the Frogoons and DK Barrel is a gap. Three Barrel Cannons are found in the gap ahead of this tree canopy area. All three Barrel Cannons each tilt in three different directions; when they are aiming at the correct angle and target, the primates can fire themselves to the next Barrel Cannon. The first Barrel Cannon in this group can fire the apes to the letter O, which is right above it, or the next Barrel Cannon positioned above it to the right. This next Barrel Cannon can the apes down to the third Barrel Cannon which is below it to the right. The final Barrel Cannon in this area is next to a stone wall that supports the above platform, which can be shot through in order to proceed. If the Kongs shoot at the wall to the Barrel Cannon's right, they can bounce back inside the Barrel Cannon while grabbing a Banana Coin. On the platform above this, the Kongs can find two Rawks and a strange plant that can be pounded to receive an item. Spikes are ahead of here, along with an Awk. At the end of this area is the Tutorial Pig, which marks the checkpoint. A DK Barrel is immediately after the checkpoint, followed by large, bouncy red flowers. A trail of Bananas are above each of the flowers and a Barrel Cannon is above the last flower. The Barrel Cannon tilts and faces right, putting the next Barrel Cannon and a drum-like trampoline with a spiky stone block bouncing on it in view. When the spiky stone block bounces upwards, the apes should fire themselves to the next Barrel Cannon. When this Barrel Cannon turns and faces right, a ring of moving Bananas, a Banana Coin, and a Tiki Zing is seen circling around the next Barrel Cannon, much like the previous. Also like the previous, when the Kongs fire to this Barrel Cannon and enter it, the Tiki Zing and objects fall, allowing the Barrel Cannon to aim at the next Barrel Cannon in the background, which is surrounded with moving Bananas.and an Extra Life Balloon (which is also moving with the Bananas). The objects fall when the Kongs enter this Barrel Cannon that was surrounded with Bananas and an Extra Life Balloon, allowing the Barrel Cannon to point at the next Barrel Cannon, which is surrounded with a ring of Bananas, the letter N, and a Tiki Zing. As usual, the objects fall when the next Barrel Cannon has been entered. The Barrel Cannon then aims at a Barrel Cannon in the foreground. The Kongs then can shoot themselves to the next Barrel Cannon, where will see the next Barrel Cannon, once again, with a spiky stone block bouncing on its drum-like trampoline between the two Cannons. The Barrel Cannon aims at its target, which the Kongs can shoot to when the spiky stone block bounces upwards. The next Barrel Cannon faces the next Barrel Cannon after it with a stone wall in front of it (this Barrel Cannon is moving up and down behind the stone wall). The Kongs can fire themselves through the stone wall when the next Barrel Cannon is in the correct place, otherwise the Kongs will fall and die. When the Barrel Cannon catches the apes, it moves down, putting the next Barrel Cannon in view. When in the correct position, the Kongs should fire themselves to the next Barrel Cannon. When the primates enter this Barrel Cannon, it moves upwards diagonally towards the next Barrel Cannon. When the Barrel Cannon slightly passes the next Barrel Cannon, the Kongs should shoot themselves to it. Like the previous Barrel Cannon, when this Barrel Cannon is entered, its moves upwards diagonally, nearing the next Barrel Cannon. When the Barrel Cannon slightly passes the next Barrel Cannon, the Kongs should fire themselves to it. This Barrel Cannon moves, this time, downwards diagonally towards the next Barrel Cannon. This next Barrel Cannon be avoided by letting the Barrel Cannon the Kongs are in move upwards, where they will see a single Banana in view. If the Kongs fire through the Banana, they will fire through many more Bananas and land in another Barrel Cannon, which is over the skipped Barrel Cannon. This Barrel Cannon then aims at an Auto-Fire Barrel. The Kongs should then fire themselves to the Auto-Fire Barrel, gathering Bananas and a Puzzle Piece. The Auto-Fire Barrel then fires the Kongs to the next Barrel Cannon. The next Barrel Cannon aims directly at a Barrel Cannon way in the background. When the Kongs fire themselves, they will smash through two stone walls, destroying the entire thing and will land in the next Barrel Cannon. This Barrel Cannon fire the apes to a moving Auto-Fire Barrel or the letter G, which is above the Auto-Fire Barrel. When the Kongs fire themselves to the Auto-Fire Barrel, it fires them to the next Barrel Cannon. The next Barrel Cannon blasts them through a stone wall, where they will land in the next Barrel Cannon, however, they have awoken a Screeching Pillar which tries to fall on and crush them. The apes are now going to be attacked by five Screeching Pillars, so they must quickly fire themselves through four more Barrel Cannons. The last two Barrel Cannons aim at different angles while the ones before it aim at the next Barrel Cannon. If done correctly, the apes land on solid ground and collide into a large structure, causing it to fall over. The apes can use the structure to reach a higher area, where there are dandelions, followed by three large, bouncy, red flowers, each with a trail of Bananas above them. The apes can bounce along these to reach a Barrel Cannon after the third flower. Auto-Fire Barrels are placed between the flowers to help the Kongs in case they fall between the plants. Anyway, the Barrel Cannon at the end of the area can shoot the Kongs into the mouth of a nearby structure, which has a Barrel Cannon. This Barrel Cannon can blast the Kongs to the other Barrel Cannons in the structure. Eventually, the apes shoot out the structure, destroying it, and blast to the level's final Barrel Cannon, which aims past a spiky stone block bouncing on a drum-like trampoline at the Slot Machine Barrel. When the Kongs fire to this Barrel, and hit it, the level is complete.
- K: When the apes reach the third Barrel Cannon in the level, they should shoot towards the cracked part of the stone wall to come across and collect the letter K.
- O: Immediately after the first Puzzle Piece and the first DK Barrel, the Kongs will find a Barrel Cannon with the letter O above it. The can shoot to the letter with the use of the Barrel Cannon.
- N: In the third sequence of Barrel Cannons, the heroes can fire to some Barrel Cannons that are surrounded by collectibles. The third Barrel Cannon has the letter N orbiting it along with some other collectibles.
- G: After the Kongs blast into the background before coming up to the Screeching Pillars, the Barrel they are in aims upwards towards the letter G. The primates should try to miss the Auto-Fire Barrel hovering past the letter to grab it.
- When the apes reach the first area of land shooting through Barrel Cannons, they should pound on a strange yellow plant to reveal a Puzzle Piece.
- In the area of Barrel Cannons where the letter O is located, the heroes should blast to the second Barrel Cannon that is above the middle of the large gap. If they shoot downwards into this gap, they can find a hidden Auto-Fire Barrel that can blast them to a Puzzle Piece. It then shoots them to a Barrel Cannon that shoots them back up to the first Barrel Cannon in the area.
- When the Kongs reach the area of land after the area with the letter O and the second Puzzle Piece, they can find a strange cracked part of the ground. If they pound on it, they fall through the ground and enter a Bonus Room, where they must collect many Bananas and two Banana Coins within thirty seconds using the Barrel Cannons which can shoot them back and forth. An Auto-Fire Barrel moves around in the middle of the area to shoot the apes out of the Bonus Room. If the Kongs collect everything, A Puzzle Piece appears at the exit.
- After the primates exit the Bonus Room, they should head backwards and pass a few Awks. A strange plant grows near some spikes that contains a Puzzle Piece.
- In the third sequence of Barrel Cannons, The apes can find a Banana hanging out of the corner of the screen while they are in a certain part of the area. If the Kongs fire themselves to this Banana instead of the next Barrel Cannon, they can find a hidden Barrel Cannon that blasts them to the fifth and final Puzzle Piece.