Damp Dungeon is the nineteenth level in Donkey Kong Country Returns, as well as the fourth level of the Ruins (Donkey Kong Country Returns). A Map Key from Cranky Kong's Shop is needed to access it. As the name of this level suggests, this level takes place in a dark dungeon full of water. Since neither of the Kongs (Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong) can swim, they must rely on platforms on spinning wheels and other objects to avoid the water. Many broken stone platforms are also scattered throughout the level, which cannot support the Kongs for too long. However, these platforms have cracks in them, so the apes should be able to tell them apart from others. Green, grassy turf also appears on the ceiling in some parts of the levels to aid the Kongs in climbing over water and spikes. Enemies in this level include Snaggles, Super Snaggles, Rawks, Tiki Bombers, Screaming Pillars, Stilts, and a Mega Snaggles at the very end of the level. In Time Attack mode, a time of 0:56:00 is needed to get a gold medal, a time of 1:30:00 for a silver medal, and a time of 1:51:00 for a bronze medal.
OverviewThe level begins in a small jungle area. The Kongs will land on a straight pathway that heads into a temple with an urn at its entrance (urns can be pounded to cause them to jump and fall; they break and most likely reveal a collectible). There is a gap ahead, however, a floor is close by over the gap, where a Rawk roams about. A dandelion that can be blown on for a prize, most likely, is here too. There is another gap after this small floor that has a spinning wheel with four platforms attached to it. Three of the platforms hold a single Banana, while the other platform holds a Banana Coin. A Snaggles jumps out of the water close to a platform with a DK Barrel on it. The Kongs must jump here. By this small platform is another much larger spinning wheel with four platforms attached to it, however only two of the platforms hold Banana Bunches while the other two hold no collectibles. There is also a platform is in the middle of the spinning wheel with a Tiki Bomber on it. There is a floor that the apes can jump to. A Snaggles jumps out of the water next to the floor and a sandbag is high above the floor that can be reached with the spinning wheel. However, to burst the bag, the apes need the DK Barrel they just passed. When touched with the DK Barrel, the sandbag releases a Puzzle Piece. Anyway on this floor, two Rawks and an urn can be found. There is some grassy turf on the ceiling that the Kongs can, or should I say, must cling onto with Bananas on them, as well as a large gap ahead right at the very edge of the floor the apes are on. At the gap, the primates must grab hold of the grassy turf and head forward. The duo will pass some cracked platforms that break shortly after the Kongs land on them: the first and third holding a Banana Coin and the second (middle) one holds the letter K of the K-O-N-G Letters. If the apes want to grab the collectibles, they must be careful, or they can fall into the water and lose an Extra Life Balloon. There are two Super Snaggles that attack the apes from here: the first between the first and second cracked platform, and the second between the second and third cracked platform. At the end of the grassy turf, the Kongs will find a small floor beneath them with an urn on it that can be pounded on to cause it to break and release a collectible, most likely. There is a small gap between this floor and another small floor with a Stilts and a dandelion that can be blown on on it. An Extra Life Balloon also slowly heads upwards above this second small floor that the Kongs can only reach if they roll into it on the first small floor. After this second small floor is a gap with a large spinning wheel with four platforms attached to it, as well as a platform in the center of the spinning wheel with a Tiki Bomber on it. There are also Banana Bunches on three of the spinning wheel's platforms and a Heart on the other platform. The Kongs must jump on one of the platforms, while avoiding the Tiki Bomber's attacks reach a small platform with a small floor beneath it that holds an urn that can be pounded on for a collectible. These two are supported by a large structure in the background. A Screaming Pillar falls on this small platform. There is another small spinning wheel that only has two platforms on it, each platform holding two Bananas. The Kongs must jump here to find another small platform, this time with no floor attached below it at the bottom, but still having a large structure in the background that supports it. Another Screaming Pillar falls on this platform. Another small spinning wheel with two platforms, each with two Bananas on them, however, the letter O is in the center of the small spinning wheel. After this spinning wheel is a third small platform also having no floor beneath it, but a large structure in the background that supports it. A Heart is on it, and a third Screaming Pillar falls here. There is another spinning wheel with two platforms, each holding two Bananas, however, this wheel spins slightly faster than the previous ones. There is also a small floor beneath this wheel that holds a Barrel and an off white colored dandelion on it that can be blown on for a Puzzle Piece (hmmm... that's strange cause most dandelions are snow white in color!). After this wheel is a line of platforms with Rawks on them and Banana Coins above them. Some of the platforms are cracked too. The last platform has two Rawks on it as well as a dandelion that can be blow on. After passing this platform, the apes can jump to a platform similar to the previous ones with Rawks on them where the Tutorial Pig hosts the checkpoint. There is a floor with Bananas on it ahead, as well as grassy turf underneath it that can take the Kongs into a Bonus Room just after the checkpoint. Above the floor shortly after the heroes land here, is a small platform with a DK Barrel on it. Shortly after walking past this platform, the floor goes to a lower floor with a Stilts on it. There is a dandelion at the edge, right before the apes land on the lower floor. Just below the lower floor to the right is a small platform with a fan right next to it as well as a Barrel Cannon. There are also some slanted stone platforms that slam into one another and crumble (much like the ones in Wonky Waterway) that can be seen in the background. The apes have two methods to choose from. If they take the Barrel Cannon, they must navigate across the slanted stone platforms that slam into one another and crumble as soon as the apes land on the first one to reach a floor with two Rawks and an urn on it (as well as a small platform with a Barrel above it). If the primates blow on the fan, they must blow it to cause a platform with an urn and a Puzzle Piece on it to rise out of the water until they hear a sound. The apes can then take the Barrel Cannon to the first slanted platform, and quickly jump to the new platform with the Puzzle Piece and the urn. The Kongs should pound the urn to cause it to break and release a Barrel Cannon. The Barrel Cannon fires the apes to the floor with the Rawks and urn on it (as well, as the small platform above it with the Barrel on it), collecting Bananas and Banana Bunches on the way there. Anyway, at the edge of this platform is a large spinning wheel with three platforms on it, each with a Banana Bunch on it, that strangely and surprisingly spins back and forth. There is a Banana Coin in the center of the spinning wheel, and two Snaggles attack the apes from beneath the wheel. The spinning wheel, stops where another large spinning wheel with three platforms that also moves back and forth comes near it, and then heads back the other way and vice versa. Anyway, this second large spinning wheel has different collectibles on each of its three platforms: one has a Barrel, the other has a Banana Bunch, and the third has a Heart. There is also a Banana Coin in the center of the wheel, as well as two more Snaggles that jump out from here. The wheel stops at a third large spinning wheel with three platforms, each with a Banana Bunch on them, however, a platform with a Tiki Bomber is in the center of this wheel. A sandbag is in between the second and third spinning wheels to help divide the two apart from one another, and can only be burst with the help of a Barrel in order for it to release the Puzzle Piece it holds. This third spinning wheel stops at a line at two Bananas with the letter N in between them, also with a Barrel Cannon behind them. There is a Super Snaggles beneath the cannon as well as some more Bananas in the Barrel Cannon's firing path. The cannon fires the heroes to a floor with a dandelion on its left edge and an urn on its right edge. The dandelion can be blown on for a prize and the urn can be pounded on for a prize, most likely. Above the urn is a ceiling of grassy turf that can help the Kongs climb over the spikes ahead. The duo can collect Bananas on the way while on the turf, however, as the turf goes down in a diagonal position, they will reach a part with the letter G where a Stilts walks toward them. Since the turf goes down to low for them to not be hurt by the Stilts, the apes must head back up the turf to and let it pass to avoid it. The Kongs then head forward after it passed where the grassy turf heads up shortly after the letter G. There are some more Bananas right where the turf ends. A small floor is beneath the turf's end with an urn that can be pounded on on it. There is a floor with two Rawks and a dandelion on its edge (similar to the first floor as soon as the apes enter the dungeon area) that can be blown on for a prize, most likely. One last large wheel is ahead with two platforms on it. One platform holds a Heart, and the other holds a Banana Bunch. The wheel can take the apes to the Slot Machine Barrel, however, a Mega Snaggles jump out directly in front of the Barrel. When the Kongs can safely jump over the Mega Snaggles area and hit the Barrel, the level is complete.
- K: When the primates reach the first section of climable turf on the ceiling, some Super Snaggles can be found. On the fragile (cracked) platform between the two shark enemies is the letter K.
- O: Immediately after the fourth Puzzle Piece, the letter O can be found in the center of a turning wheel.
- N: After the wheel immediately after the eighth Puzzle Piece, the primates can find the letter N in the air just before the Barrel Cannon.
- G: When the Kongs arrive on the last set of grassy turf near the end of the level, they can find a letter G near a Stilts enemy.
- When the duo find the first DK Barrel, they should pick it up and ride the first spinning wheel. As they approach the top of the wheel, they can find a hanging sandbag, which they can burst by throwing the Barrel ai it/ colliding into the bag with the Barrel. When the bag bursts, a Puzzle Piece appears.
- Immediately after the letter K, the apes can find a cracked floor near an urn. If they break part of the floor with a pound, they can find a hidden alcove with the second Puzzle Piece.
- When the heroes meet the first Screaming Pillar in the level, they should drop to the floor below to find an urn. They should pound the urn to cause it to break and reveal a Puzzle Piece.
- When the Kongs reach the second Screaming Pillar in the level, they can pound it when it falls to find the fourth Puzzle Piece.
- Below the rapidly spinning wheel with two platforms, the apes can find a Barrel and a strange, off white-colored dandelion. If they blow on it, a Puzzle Piece appears.
- Right after the checkpoint, the Kongs can find a low floor. A green, grassy turf is on the platform above this smaller platform that the apes can climb to reach a Bonus Room. Here, the apes must bounce on a trampoline to collect ninety nine Bananas and three Banana Coins moving in a circular motion. Once all items are collected within the time limit of thirty seconds, all the heroes must do is collect the Puzzle Piece that appears.
- Before the Kongs enter the Barrel Cannon that shoots them to the slanted platforms that slam into one another and crumble, they should drop down to the smaller platform and blow on the fan to cause a platform with the seventh Puzzle Piece and an urn on it. The apes can then take the Barrel Cannon to the slanted platforms and jump there to collect the piece. Then they can pound the urn to reveal a Barrel Cannon and head straight to a floor with two Rawks on it.
- Soon after the seventh Puzzle Piece, the primates can find a Barrel on a small platform. They should carry it across the spinning wheels. On the second wheel near the top, the apes can find a second sandbag that can be burst with the Barrel for the Puzzle Piece.
- On the second grassy turf section, the Kongs should drop down to the floor beneath the letter G. They should pound it to cause it to flip and drop the duo into a second Bonus Room. Here the Kongs must shoot through four Barrel Cannons that tilt in three different angles every second to collect many Bananas, three Banana Coins and an Extra Life Balloon. If everything is collected within the time limit of thirty seconds, the ninth and final Puzzle Piece appears. All the Kongs must do is shoot themselves to it to grab it.