Itty Bitty Biters is the twentieth level of Donkey Kong Country Returns, as well as the fifth level of the Ruins (Donkey Kong Country Returns). This level takes place in a strange temple infested with small creatures known as Toothberries, as well as their sub-species, Toothcherries, Cageberries and Acks. Cageberries can be pounded on to cause them to flip, then pounded on the underside for the Kongs (Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong) to reach collectibles, and pull the vines of angry, devilish-looking gold vine statues of an ape's head (because when the enemy flips back to normal, it launches the apes up high). These enemies not only try to hurt and defeat the primates, but Acks also get in the way by piling on top of one another, only to fall down on the Kongs when they get close by. Angry, devilish-looking gold vine statues of an ape's head are very common in this level as well. There are also many structures that resemble Toothberries with their mouths open/closed, some of which on stands in the background that can be pounded on to cause them to break and release a collectible. These are probably replacing the urns found in the previous levels such as Wonky Waterway and next levels such as Temple Topple. As mentioned above, enemies in this level are Toothberries, Toothcherries, Cageberries and Acks. In Time Attack mode, a time of 1:35:00 is needed to get a gold medal, a time of 2:29:00 for a silver medal, and a time of 3:18:00 for a bronze medal.
OverviewThe level begins with the Kongs landing on a straight pathway near a dandelion that can be blown on. There is a wall of grassy turf that leads to a Banana Bunch and a skull Barrel Cannon (skull Barrel Cannons/Auto-Fire Barrels destroy themselves when they fire the Kongs) that can take the Kongs to a Bonus Room. Ahead of where the Kongs land, there is a pair of dandelions that can be blown on for a prize, most likely. Shortly after this is an angry looking devilish-looking gold vine statue of an ape's head and a large statue of a Toothberry. The Kongs can grab the vine to activate the switch. A Toothberry peaks out of the statue's "eye" for a few seconds and then closes it. The statue's mouth opens, revealing the entrance of the temple. After this, past the entrance of the temple, is a gap with spikes. On the other side of this is a floor with Bananas and a DK Barrel. After the apes pass this part, they must jump over another gap of spikes. After the apes jump over this, they will land on a lower part of floor with three Bananas. The Kongs, after landing on the lower floor, the Kongs can jump to a higher platform and then jump over some spikes to land on a floor with three Bananas. After watching the apes as they navigate through here and hiding, two Toothberries break out of the floor and start trying to attack the apes by hopping up and down towards them. After this, the Kongs can an area with two platforms with a small space between them in the air, and a floor beneath with spikes in the center. Two Toothberries are on the platforms: one on one platform and another on the other. Beneath the second Toothberry is a third Toothberry, that hops about like the other two. There are two Banana Bunches beneath the platforms as well as candles that can be blown on. On the second platform, the Kong's can jump/roll towards the wall above them to their right to enter a hidden alcove with three Banana Coins in it. Past the area with the second Toothberry and third Toothberry, there is a small gap with spikes in it. After this the primates can jump to an area with a Cageberry moving around, two Toothberry-like statues that can be pounded on for a collectible, a Banana Bunch, an angry, devilish-looking gold vine statue of an ape's head, and the letter K of the K-O-N-G Letters all three of which are in the air (the Banana Bunch, vine statue, and letter K). Oh, what should the Kongs do now!? Wait!!! There is a solution. The apes should pound near the Cageberry to cause it to flip over unconsciously. The Kongs should then jump on the upsided-down Cageberry and pound on it until they can't pound no more. Shortly, the enemy will flip over blasting the apes upwards. Now, the Kongs should grab the vine statue's vine to open a passageway. The Kong's can also get the letter K, but they might also have to repeat the steps to open the passageway. Now, the Kongs can jump over a group of spikes onto a floor. They must now jump over a gap onto a small floor with a single candle that can be blown on. However, a Toothberry breaks out of the floor and tries to attack the apes. There is a platform above the Kongs slightly to the right with three Bananas and a Toothberry on it, and a platform above this platform slightly to the left with two Toothberries on it. The Kongs can jump onto the second platform above them slightly to the right and defeat the Toothberry there. They can then jump to a small slanted platform where a Toothberry breaks out of the floor. There is also a Toothberry-like statue that can be pounded on to cause it to break and release a collectible, most likely. After this, the Kong's can jump onto a large wooden platform with a DK Barrel on it and two Banana Bunches on opposite sides beneath it. When the Kongs jump here, however, part of the wall flips over and two Toothberries come out and try to attack/defeat the Kongs. The first Toothcherry appears and trys to attack the Kongs from the right. The apes must be careful cause Toothberries jump very high and take two hits to be defeated. After this wooden platform, the Kongs can land on a small slanted platform with another Toothberry-like statue that can be pounded on for a collectible, most likely. Here, the primates can then jump to a small platform with a Cageberry on it. There is a skull Auto-Fire Barrel above the Cageberry. There are two routes the Kongs can take. They can pound the Cageberry to cause it to flip over and pound it again to be launched into the Auto-Fire Barrel. They will then be blasted into a second Bonus Room. After completing/failing the Bonus Room's activity, they can be launched into a part of the part after the Cageberry. The second route is to try to jump over the Cageberry to reach the area after it. This area, after the Cageberry, has some small wooden platforms some with Bananas on them attached to a dark gray wall in the background. The Kongs can jump from platform to platform here to find a Toothberry-like statue that can be pounded on for a collectible, most likely, Banana Bunches in the air above some platforms, and the letter O underneath the last platform. Toothberries attack the Kongs on the last three platforms before the last platform, and a Toothcherry attacks the Kongs from the second wooden platform. On the last platform, the Kongs can jump to a small floor with a candle that can be blown on. From here, the duo can jump over a small gap of spikes to a small platform with a Cageberry on it and spikes beside it to the right. A Toothberry-like structure is here that can be pounded on for a collectible as well. Here, the Kongs can find a high wooden platform that can on be reached with the use of the Cageberry. The Kongs must pound near the Cageberry to cause it to flip, then pound on its underside to be launched shortly after they pounded the enemy to reach the platform. The platform is really attached to a floor with a similar platform on the opposite side and two Toothberries on it. On the opposide side of the floor, there is another wooden platform underneath it and floor underneath that platform. On the floor the primates can find another Toothberry-like statue that can be pounded on to cause it to break and reveal a collectible. The heroes can then jump to another floor where the Tutorial Pig hosts the checkpoint. Wow, the checkpoint is very far! After the checkpoint, the primates can then jump over a gap onto a large floor where a Toothberry and Toothcherry come out of Toothberry-like statues' mouths, still not destroying the statues, however. The statues, of course, can be pounded on to cause them to break. After this, the Kongs can jump to a wooden platform with two Toothberry-like statues next to each other. As the Kongs land here, two Toothberries and a Toothcherry appear from flipped-over walls beneath the Kongs. After this, the Kongs can jump to a small floor with a Banana Bunch above it. Here, the first Ack of the level appears. To get it to fall, the Kongs must near it. It will back up, open their mouths, and fall. The Kongs must just jump/roll away when they open their mouths to avoid the attack. When they fall, the Kongs can then jump on them to defeat them. The Kongs, on this platform, can also find a candle that can be blown on by the way. After this platform, the Kongs can then jump to a large floor with a raised part of floor on it in the center. An Ack appears on the raised part of floor and tries to fall on the Kongs. There are also some Bananas and a Heart on the floor, as well as a Toothberry-like statue in the background (like all others) that can be pounded on for a collectible . Following the same steps as above, the apes can get past the Ack safely. After this large floor, the Kongs can jump onto another large floor with the letter N above it on the left side, and a Banana Bunch above it on the opposite side. Here, an Ack appears and two Toothberries appear from flipped-over walls above them on opposite sides if the Kongs near the Ack to make things harder. After this area, the Kongs will find two very small and narrow wooden platforms. Both platforms hold a Banana on them. When the Kongs jump to the second platform, a Toothcherry appears from a flipped over piece of the structure that holds the platform. After this, there is a floor with a raised part of floor in the center and spikes that surrounds the center. Also, a Cageberry moves about on the raised part of floor. Some candles are also on stands beside the Cageberry that can only be blown if the Kongs stand on the Cageberry upsided-down. Anyway, when the heroes jump to this floor, a Toothberry jumps out on the side the apes are about to land on. The apes can then jump onto the raised part of floor where the Cageberry roams about. The Kongs can pound on the enemy and blow the candles to cause a Puzzle Piece to come out of the mouth of a large Toothberry-like structure in the background. The Kongs can then find a DK Barrel on the other side of the floor. From here, the apes can jump to a similarly-shaped floor with five Toothberry-like statues that normally can be pounded on, however, these ones are on stands and don't break. When the Kongs reach the center of this floor, two Toothberries and two Toothcherries come out of the statues, leaving the middle one to be broken by the apes. After this, the apes can jump to a floor with a candle on it that leads to a large room with angry looking fake eyes in the background and three wooden platforms. As soon as the primates land in this room, a part of the floor slams into the wall, locking the apes inside here, and three Toothberries appear from flipped-over walls (two land on the floor, one lands on the middle platform). Once these three are defeated, five more Toothberries appear from flipped over walls, two being on the floor and three on the platforms. After all these enemies are defeated, a Barrel Cannon appears in the center of the room. When the Kongs land in it, it aims downward and can fire the Kongs to the lowest part of the room. Here, there are only two platforms on opposite sides and a DK Barrel. Also, four Toothcherries attack the apes from here. Once all four of these dangerous enemies are defeated, a Barrel Cannon appears in the center of the room and can fire the Kongs upwards out of the temple. When the Kongs are fired, they will land back outside, scaring an elephant who screams and jumps into the background, never to be seen again. Here, the Kongs can find a high ledge with a dandelion that can be blown on to their left, two dandelions that can be blown on and a large gold switch covered in leaves. There is also a large Toothberry-like structure in the background. If the Kongs blow the leaves off the switch, it can be pounded on. The apes must then pound the switch three times to cause the Slot Machine Barrel to come out of the large Toothberry-like structure's mouth (the structure in the background). When the Slot Machine Barrel is hit, the level is complete.
- K: When the primates reach the first Cageberry, they should smash it into the ground and stand on it. The enemy can shoot them into the air, where they can grab the letter K high in the air.
- O: Before the third Cageberry, the primates can find the letter O underneath the last platform of the wooden platforms attached to the dark wall in the background.
- N: Near the third Ack, the letter N can be found high in the air. Using the Toothberries that attack the Kongs there, the Kongs can bounce on them to reach the letter.
- G: On the platform right after the sixth Puzzle Piece, the heroes can find the letter G in the air. It is too high to jump to, so the Kongs must use the nearby Toothberries and Toothcherries to obtain it.
- At the beginning of the level, the Kongs can head backwards to find a wall of grassy turf. They can climb it to reach a skull Barrel Cannon that fires them into the first Bonus Room of the level. Here, the Kongs must collect forty-seven Bananas, two Banana Coins and an Extra Life Balloon while traveling along two large moving platforms that move horizontally. If everything is collected within the time limit of thirty seconds, a Puzzle Piece appears for the Kongs to collect.
- In the room after the letter K, the Kongs can climb to the highest platform and jump into the wall to find a hidden alcove with a Puzzle Piece on it (this is really the opposite side of the alcove with the three Banana Coins in it).
- When the heroes encounter the second Cageberry, they can smash it into the ground so it can shoot them into the air into an Auto-Fire Barrel. Here, they enter a second Bonus Room, where this time, they must collect many Bananas and Banana Coins on several moving platforms. If the duo succeed in collecting everything within the time limit of thirty seconds, the third Puzzle Piece appears.
- After passing the third Cageberry, the primates climb over a large wall. Here, they can find a hidden alcove at the bottom of the wall to find a Puzzle Piece.
- In order to obtain this Puzzle Piece, located around in the mouth of a Toothberry-like structure in the background, the Kongs must blow out the two candles near a Cageberry. Since the candles are too high to be reached normally, the Kongs must pound near the Cageberry to cause it to flip and blow the candles (they might have to do this twice). Once both candles are blown, the Puzzle Piece is released from the large structure's mouth.
- Again, the primates must stand on the fourth Cageberry as it is upsided-down. If they roll-jump (long jump) into the wall in the corner of the screen, they can find a Puzzle Piece. Note that this Puzzle Piece is in the same exact place as the previous Puzzle Piece.
- When the Kongs reach outside, they should notice a small reddish area directly behind them on the floor as well as a high ledge with a dandelion that can be blown on. The Kongs should go into the reddish area and pound to cause a red mushroom to appear. It can bounce them onto the ledge where they can blow the dandelion for the seventh and final Puzzle Piece. So that you know, more of these red mushrooms appear in later levels, especially those of the Forest (Donkey Kong Country Returns).
- The exterior of this world's (the Ruins) temple level, Shifty Smashers, can be seen in the background at the beginning of this level.