King of Cling is the second level in Donkey Kong Country Returns. It is found in the Jungle (Donkey Kong Country Returns). The level introduces a green, grassy turf the Donkey Kong can climb on. The level also features several obstacles first seen in the first level of the game, Jungle Hijinxs, such as spikes, dandelions, in which, can be blown on to reveal items, and large bouncy flowers. Both the two levels share some of the same enemies such as Awks and Frogoons. However, there are some new enemies here too which are Tiki Zings, Chomps and Mega Chomps. The Chomps are usually placed in large gaps, which can only be crossed by using the grassy turfs on ceilings. The turf is also placed on walls and around turning wheels for Donkey Kong to cling on. In Time Attack mode, the Kongs must score a time of 1:21:00 for a gold medal, 1:36:00 for a silver medal, and 2:16:00 for a bronze medal.
OverviewEditThe level begins with a pathway leading to a group of spikes following an Awk. The grassy turf lined with Bananas above the spikes can help the apes cross the dangerous obstacle unharmed. Another Awk is after this, and a small platform holding a DK Barrel is on top of it. The platform can only be reached with the stone block on the ground below. The letter K is also near a wall here by some more grassy turf. Two plants are below it holding some hidden items. There is a small tunnel area farther into the level featuring a Chomp that snaps out the gap to try to eat the Kongs as they cross the area with the turf. The area ahead holds a few weaker land enemies, including Frogoons and a strange plant holding a Banana Coin. A spinning wheel is nearby, covered in grassy turf. On top of it is a Heart. On top of it is a Heart and some Bananas, but below it is a Chomp and an Awk. The areas ahead feature some more spikes, although a safe platform can be found floating above them near another enemy. To the right of the enemy is a gap containing another Chomp. The turf above it that is covered in Bananas can be used to reach a Banana Coin. Across the wall is is another wall of grassy turf to climb on, which is also covered in Bananas. A second small gap holds a vicious Chomp below the grass, which is followed by a much larger abyss holding a Mega Chomp. The grassy turf lining the walls can help the apes get past these enemies and get to a Heart. On a small platform below the grassy turf is a strange plant holding a Banana Coin. Near it is a much larger flower that can be bounced off of to reach more of the grassy turf and another item-holding plant. There is a bridge that stretches across a long gap next to a DK Barrel, leading to two Awks and another strange plant holding a Barrel Cannon. The Barrel can be used to access an area in the background, where there are some spinning wheels covered in grassy turf and the letter O on a wall above them. At the end of the area is another plant containing the Barrel Cannon that shoots the Kongs back into the foreground. Here, there is another bridge leading to a flat platform found floating in the air and a small ledge with a stone block on its edge. Following an orange plant with a Banana Bunch after this is a large, bouncy flower that the Kongs can bounce on to reach another set of grassy turf to cross a large abyss containing a Mega Chomp. The grassy turf is lined with Bananas and a plant that holds a Puzzle Piece. Another large, red, bouncy flower is below the turf. Right after this is the Tutorial Pig who marks the checkpoint. There is another gap with a Chomp inside of it farther ahead, along with a DK Barrel. Nearby, Chomps shoot out of the ceiling to attack, while Awks trot along the ground. A little further is a large open area with some grassy turf on the side of the wall. A Chomp will occasionally shoot out of the wall. A spinning wheel covered in grassy turf is also in the center of the area to aid the Kongs in reaching an area of grassy turf along another wall. The wall leads to a flat surface, where another Chomp enemy shoots out of the wall. Grassy turf lines this wall as well, and a small plant holding a Banana Bunch is inside of it. There is a platform holding a dandelion nearby, which gives the apes a Banana if blown. On the other end of the platform is a curved wall covered in grassy turf along that leads to a plant holding a Banana Bunch and a higher platform with a DK Barrel. To the left of the platform is a wall of grassy turf that is lined with some Bananas. The grassy turf can help the primates climb to a higher area, where there is a long section of spikes and another item-filled plant. They can be crossed by using the spinning wheels floating around. The wheels have grassy turf on them, which helps the Kongs climb to the wall on the right that is covered in more turf. If the Kongs climb along the grassy turf, they can reach another Chomp on the top of the area. The only way to avoid it is by using the moving platforms below. Grassy turf covered with Bananas lies farther ahead, leading to another area. A small platform is below the grassy turf along another spinning wheel. To the right of this obstacle is a small space with a plant growing on it, which contains a Banana Coin. Some grassy turf is above hole in the wall, where a Chomp shoots out to try and eat the Kongs. The grassy turf can take the Kongs to the top of the area, where there are two platforms below another Chomp. The platforms, which are holding some Banana Bunches, must be used to dodge the plant and get to the grassy turf nearby. The turf leads high into a new area. On the right side holding this grassy turf is another small section of the grassy turf, and a Banana Coin is on it. The turf on the left wall stretches through a long passage with some spikes along the bottom of it. As the Kongs get through this part of the level, they can find more grassy turf showing up of the right side of the walls. The apes must alternate between walls to avoid some Chomps that shoot out of the sides of the walls. The grassy turf on the wall continues into an new area, while a dandelion grows on a small section of land to the left. Many large, red, bouncy flowers are found floating in this open area. The flowers, although infested with Tiki Zings, help the primates find the letter G and travel to the highest point of the level, where a Barrel Cannon can be found. The Barrel Cannon can be used to shoot the apes to the Slot Machine Barrel. The Kongs should hit the Barrel to end the level.
- K: On the platform with the first DK Barrel; the Kongs can jump to the right near a wall to find the letter K.
- O: After crossing a bridge, one can find an area of land in the background. If they pound on the plant at the end of the bridge, a Barrel Cannon appears. It will shoot them into the background, where the letter O is located above two spinning wheels covered in grassy turf.
- N: As the Kongs approach the end of the level, they can climb up two wheels and head to the right, where is some more turf. If they climb down the turf, the primates will find the letter N.
- G: At the end of the level when the heroes bounce on flowers, the letter G can be found on one of the plants, which is guarded by a Tiki Zing.
- If the Kongs hover past the letter K, going into the wall, they can find a hidden canopy with the first Puzzle Piece.
- Just ahead of the letter K, there is a spinning wheel with a Heart on it. If the Kongs head to the top of it and hop along a few platforms to the left, they can find a Puzzle Piece found in the hidden area of the canopy.
- Farther ahead of the second Puzzle Piece, there is a platform floating above a small area of spikes. The third Puzzle Piece is hidden in the canopy to the right of the platform.
- As the Kongs cross a long bridge about mid-way through the level, they'll find a strange plant. If Donkey Kong Ground Pounds it, the plant opens up to reveal an Auto-Fire Barrel. The Barrel launches the Kongs to the background where there are two spinning wheels and a small area of land above them with the letter O. If the primates climb on the grassy turf above the letter O, they can head to the top of the large platform to find a Barrel. This Barrel leads to a Bonus Room, where the primates must collect every Banana in the area using a bouncy platform. If all items are collected before time is out, a Puzzle Piece appears.
- As the apes cling on the ceiling after the checkpoint using the grassy turf, they can find a small plant in the center of the ceiling. While avoiding the Mega Chomp below, Donkey Kong can break open the plant to reveal the fifth Puzzle Piece.
- As the primates approach the end of the level, they make their way to a small platform holding a dandelion. Near here is a ledge with a plant that contains an item. If they continue to the right at this point, they can enter a hidden alcove with the sixth Puzzle Piece.
- Near the end of the level, the Kongs head to a bouncy, red flower that can help them reach a spinning wheel. If they walk into the wall to the right of the flower, they can find a hidden alcove with the final Puzzle Piece.