- "It's not just racing, it's racing transformed!"
- — Tagline
|Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed|
|Platform(s)||Xbox 360, 3DS, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, PC, Wii U, iOS (iPhone), Android|
|Release date(s)|| AUS: 15 November 2012|
EU: 16 November 2012
NA: 20 November 2012
|Rating(s)|| ACB: G,
ESRB: E10+ (Console Versions); E (3DS version) PEGI: 7
|Media|| Xbox 360: DVD-DL|
3DS: 3DS Game Card
PlayStation 3: Blu-ray Disc
PlayStation Vita: PlayStation Vita Card
PC: DVD-ROM, Digital Download
Wii U: Wii U Disc
|Predecessor||Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing|
|Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed at Nintendo.com|
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed is the sequel for the first racing game of the SEGA Superstars series. The game was leaked by Kotaku at the New York Toy Fair by revealing, according to Kotaku, "Sega's Sequel to Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing". It features a transformation element of racing gameplay unique to that of any other racing game.
Pictures depicting the side-view of the shelf revealed boxes for Sonic the Hedgehog, Miles "Tails" Prower, Beat, and Aiai. Shortly after this event the website called Starland.com also added info on the game. They listed it in the pre-order list for the PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii for $57, to be released on November 30th, 2012 but was then removed by SEGA.
On April 30th, an announcement trailer was released, revealing the game's official name, as well as a new mechanic that transforms the character's vehicles to land, air, and water forms. The confirmed platforms of release are PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PC, Vita and 3DS.
The game was released for the Xbox 360 and PS3 in Australia on November 15th, for the Nintendo 3DS and PS Vita in North America on December 11th, and in Europe on the 20th of November. The PC version was released on January 31th, 2013. The Wii U version was a launch title, launching along with the console on Nov. 18th in North America, on Nov. 30th in Europe/Australia and on Dec. 8th in Japan. It was later revealed that the PC edition will allow racers to play as the DLC Team Fortress 2 characters.
On 22 October 2013, SEGA anounced that the game would be released for Android and iOS devices, coming out on January 2014 with Ryo Hazuki as an additional character.
Gameplay is similar to the game's prequel, in which players choose different settings and characters before a race, including World Tour, Single Race, Challenges and Multiplayer. The most noticeable addition to the game is the three different modes of racing: land, sea, and air, a concept previously used in three earlier games (see Trivia). Racers' cars can now change into a plane when in the air and into a boat when on water after passing through a transformation gate. The Sumo Digital staff stated in some interviews before its release that Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed would be "proper boating, proper flying," In addition, the tracks themselves change during the race. For example, in Dragon Canyon, the bridges are destroyed by the dragons in the track's third lap, requiring changing into flight mode.
All-Star Moves return, and originally they were to have a meter that would fill up upon collecting All-Star Tokens during the race, but they are collected in capsules like in All-Stars Racing. There are new weapons, such as ice shots to freeze opponents and a baseball glove that catches an attack from behind, and giving the player that weapon. There are also 17 new tracks, plus four favorite tracks from the previous game, similar to the retro cups in the more recent Mario Kart games.
Players are able to earn XP points to put towards a leveling system, which can potentially unlock vehicle mods and other items. The more XP points are collected, the better characters become on the track. Once collected enough stars from World Tour events, you can unlock Console Mods, that are found in World Tour. These mods have been chosen for characters, depending on the Console Mod unlocked.On the loading screen before a race, there is a slot machine similar to the one in Sonic Heroes. Once enough All-Star Tokens are collected from previous races, players can pull the lever to try their luck. If the three slots match, a new item is obtained. The player can also win an item at the start of every lap or have an item at the beginning of the race. If not, the player does not earn anything, and can spin once more if he/she has the required number of coins. The slot machine requires 5 coins for a spin. The slot machine and tokens are missing from the 3DS version due to it running on a different engine.
|Standard Race||File:Race1.png||Race for the top position while utilizing power ups.|
|Battle Arena||File:Race2.png||Fight to survive using power ups. All players start with three hits. Once all off their hit points are gone, they are out. The last surviving player wins.|
|Battle Race||File:Race3.png||Race for the top position while utilizing power ups. All players start with three hits. Once all off their hit points are gone, they are out. The last surviving player wins.|
|Capture the Chao||File:Race4.png||A Chao balloon and a capture point spawn in random spots. Bringing the Chao balloon to the capture point adds to the players score. Reaching the target limit or capturing the most before time runs out declares the winner.|
|Boost Race||File:Race5.png||Race for the top position. There are no items to make use of, only boost pads will help racers in this mode.|
|Banana Heist (Wii U only)||File:Race6.png||Players on the Game Pad play as Aiai as he rolls a monkey ball around to crush the other racers.|
|Ninja Tag (Wii U only)||File:Race7.png||Players on the Game Pad play as Joe Musashi as he must run into other racers to tag them.|
|Download Play (3DS only)||N/A||Race together with up to 8 players on the Ocean View track. The host player will race as Sonic, client players race as their Mii.|
Stickers are special rewards obtainable as Xbox 360 Achievements, PlayStation 3 and Vita Trophies and Steam Trophies/Achievements after completing a certain challenge. The Wii U and 3DS versions of the game do not use an achievement system, but allows for sticker collection in the game.
Twenty-nine playable characters (including three third-party characters) appear in this game. The game features specific platform rosters, and no single platform has all 29 characters. Players start with ten characters (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, AiAi, Beat, Amy, BD Joe, MeeMee, Ulala, and Wreck-It Ralph), and the other characters are unlocked by winning enough stars in the missions in world tour. Racers include:
- Sonic the Hedgehog: 'Speed Star' sports car with two of his trademark spines on the back.
- Doctor Eggman: Red six wheeled 'tank' that has his face on it. (Clear all mirror GPs (Console/Pc) Clear all normal GPs (3DS))
- Miles "Tails" Prower: Upgraded version of the MTP-01 Whirlwind.
- Amy Rose: New Rounded version of her Pink Cabriolet.
- Knuckles the Echidna: Backwards trike with a design influenced by himself in a gliding stance.
- Shadow the Hedgehog: A black and white GUN vehicle with tank-like treads. (Buy for 35 stars in World Tour)
- Metal Sonic (via Bonus/Limited Edition version) Upgraded Metal Booster from the first game
- Amigo: A four-wheeled toy train inspired by his previous kart. (Buy for 8 stars in World Tour on Console versions, 5 stars on 3DS)
- Aiai: Yellow F-1 like car similar to his one from the previous game.
- Alex Kidd: A red capsule like vehicle resembling a Peticopter/V-22 Osprey hybrid with JanKenPon engines. Unlocked automatically if the system's calendar is on December 25 (Christmas Day).
- B.D. Joe: A shorter version of his personal Chevy Impala
- Beat: Quad bike themed after his gang and his game's titular radio station.
- Ulala : White backwards trike with a Space Channel 5 theme
Veteran 3rd Party Characters
- Mii: Exclusively for Nintendo Consoles. Confirmed during Gamescom 2012. Steve Lycett (S0L) on an official SEGA Forum also confirmed. Car styled after one out of OutRun in the Mii's chosen color(Wii U only red in 3DS). (Clear all normal GPs on Console versions, clear all Mirror Cups on 3DS)
- Xbox Live Avatar: Exclusively for Xbox 360. An upgraded version of the Ava-car 720 that is now black and green just like the Xbox 360 Elite and the Xbox 360 S model and looks like a Bugatti Veyron Super Sport. (Clear all normal GPs)
- Vyse: An old-fashioned steampunk race car similar in design to his airship,The Delfinius (Buy for 30 stars in World Tour)
- Gillus Thunderhead: A bronze animal-eqsue statue. It appears as an Ox in "car" mode, Turtle with a Rhinos' head in "boat" and Gryphon in "plane" mode.(Buy for 120 stars in World Tour)
- Joe Musashi: A yellow and black quad bike which when transformed into a boat,becomes a Jet Ski. (Buy for 85 stars in World Tour)
- NiGHTS NiGHTS itself becomes the vehicles while a Nightopian rides in it. (Buy for 80 stars in World Tour on Console versions, 40 stars on 3DS)
- Reala Reala transforms into vehicles while a Nightmaren drives. (Buy for 160 stars in World Tour on Console versions, 90 stars on 3DS)
- Gum: A white and neon green quad bike, similar to Beat's vehicle. (Buy for 105 stars in World Tour)
- Mee Mee : A pink copy of Aiai's F-1 car
- Pudding: A green, futuristic car from Channel 42 resembling her aircraft from Space Channel 5: Part 2. (Buy for 50 stars in World Tour on Console versions, 64 stars on 3DS)
- AGES: A transforming fusion of several elements from SEGA's past; the Hornet from Daytona USA, a Dreamcast controller, and a F-14 Tomcat from Afterburner. (Buy for 165 stars in World Tour on Console versions, 111 stars on 3DS)
- Football Manager: (Exclusve for PC) Drives a small cart-esque SUV, motorboat, and jet. Transforms inside of a soccer ball/football.
- Shogun: (Exclusve for PC) Drives a fuedal inspired cart with a dragon design in car and boat, while the boat transformation is inspired with a fish.
New 3rd Party Characters
- Danica Patrick: A neon green racing car called Danicar with logos for Sonic, SEGA, GoDaddy.com, and Hot Wheels.  (Buy for 16 stars in World Tour)
- Wreck It-Ralph: A Jeep that has a wrecking ball in the boot
- Team Fortress (Exclusive for PC): A combined team consisting of three characters from the multiplayer first-person shooter Team Fortress 2. In Car form, the Pyro drives a red Go Kart-like vehicle with Flamethrowers mounted on its sides. In Plane and All-Star modes, The Spy pilots a sleek miniature Fighter Jet, and in Boat form, the Heavy controls a camouflaged Airboat with steel plating and a Sasha-like Minigun mounted on each side.
Possible Future Characters
A few days before the game came out, fans asked SUMO for certain DLC characters. SUMO made a challenge to get in at least 3 characters with over 1,000 votes before December 1st. Votes above 1,000 that made it are listed below. One of the characters has been approved by SEGA, but it has not been announced which one.
- Ryo Hazuki: Votes for this character were 3,379
- Hatsune Miku: Votes for this character were 3,180
- Segata Sanshiro: Votes for this character were 2,613
- Vectorman: Votes for this character were 1,221
- Bayonetta: Votes for this character were 1,215
- Ristar: Votes for this character were 1,081
- ToeJam & Earl: Votes for this character were 1,015
There is a total of 21 tracks, with 17 new ones (one exclusive to the Limited/Bonus Edition) and 4 returning ones from Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing. The tracks have a set Grand Prix order, as follows: 
Note: All of the new tracks, will not be the same while you race throught the 3 laps. Some tracks change during the last lap Example: Ocean View and other tracks. Although some will change every lap, for Example: Dream valley, Burning Depths and others. Some will not change, they will stay the same track for 3 laps, Example Carrier Zone, Samba Studios and others. Also "Race of Ages" is the only track that you can choose to change the path to a boat path or plane, depending on which gate is entered first.
You won't be able to buy the tracks, they can be unlocked by completing the world tour missions or racing in grand prix
- Sunshine Coast
- Frozen Valley
- Scorching Skies
- Twilight Engine
- Moonlight Park
- Superstar Showdown
- Ocean View (Sonic Heroes) - Car/Boat
- Samba Studios (Samba De Amigo) - Car/Boat
- Carrier Zone (After Burner: Climax) - Car/Boat/Plane
- Dragon Canyon (Panzer Dragoon) - Car/Boat/Plane
- Temple Trouble (Super Monkey Ball) - Car/Boat
- Galactic Parade (Sonic Colors/Colours) - Car/Plane
- Seasonal Shrines (Shinobi) - Car/Boat
- Rogues' Landing (Skies of Arcadia) - Car/Boat/Plane
- Dream Valley (NiGHTS into Dreams) - Boat/Plane
- Chilly Castle (Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg) - Car/Boat
- Graffiti City (Jet Set Radio) - Car/Plane
- Sanctuary Falls (Sonic & Knuckles )- Car/Plane
- Graveyard Gig (The House of the Dead EX) - Car/Boat
- Adder's Lair (Golden Axe) - Car/Boat/Plane
- Burning Depths (Burning Rangers) - Car/Boat
- Race of Ages (SEGA Tribute race) - Car/Boat/Plane
- Sunshine Tour (Samba De Amigo)(Returning) - Car Only
- Shibuya Downtown (Jet Set Radio Future)(Returning) - Car only
- Roulette Road (Sonic Heroes)(Returning) - Car only
- Egg Hangar (Sonic the Hedgehog 2 /Sonic & Knuckles) (Returning) - Car only
- OutRun Bay (OutRun 2) (Bonus/Limited Edition and Wii U version Only) - Car/Boat
Mirrored versions of all the tracks, including Outrun Bay, can be unlocked.
- All 16 characters from Sega Superstars Tennis return in this game.
- This is the second time in which a Sonic game was leaked due to the premature release of toys, the first time being when toys of Rouge the Bat and Shadow the Hedgehog had been revealed before both characters' debuting game, Sonic Adventure 2, was even announced, both of which happen to be sequels.
- There are two other games (Mario Kart 7 and Diddy Kong Racing) that have a transformation feature.
- Sumo Digital said that they had the idea of the transforming vehicles before Mario Kart 7 was announced, as said in an interview with Nintendo Power.
- Unlike the first game, the PC version will feature an online multiplayer mode.
- There is a minor change in the title from the first All-Stars Racing game, as the "SEGA" is missing, just making it Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed rather than Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed. This is because other characters, such as Wreck-It Ralph, Danica Patrick, Mii/Xbox 360 Avatar, Team Fortress, General Winter are not Sega characters. (General Winter Was a THQ Characters Until SEGA Claim The Franchise)
- The first three trailers for the game use the song "Promises" by Nero for the BGM. All the trailers after the August trailer use "Acid Cube" by Richardson & Macklin & Ford.
- This makes All-Stars Racing Transformed is the second Sonic game to have a trailer that uses non-Sega music, the first being Sonic Generations, which had trailers that used the songs "Tenderoni" by Kele for the Gameplay/Green Hill trailer and "Na Na Na" by My Chemical Romance for the City Escape trailer.
- Although Beat appeared in the first All-Stars Racing game with his Jet Set Radio Future design, he appears in All-Stars Racing Transformed with his original design from Jet Set Radio, although a bit shorter in height.
- The cars in the game have undergone a radical design change due to the transformation mechanics in this game. Notable examples include Sonic's Speed Star, which now has sharper angles, different wheels, and less "Sonic spines"; Amy's car loses the tire cover, gets a bigger wind shield, and becomes rounded; and Doctor Eggman's monster truck is now a six-wheeled red "tank". Every racer now has a car, a tank-like vehicle, or a quad bike instead of a bi-plane (e.g. Tails' Tornado Racer) or a motorcycle (e.g. Shadow's Dark Rider).
- This is the first Sonic the Hedgehog game (as well as the first spin-off title) on the PlayStation Vita (not counting the PSP re-releases on the PlayStation Network) and the Wii U.
- At the end of the Comic-Con 2012 trailer, and during the Danica Patrick trailer, some of Sonic's voice clips from Sonic Generations are used. The same applies for Doctor Eggman.
- Wreck-It Ralph, from the 2012 Disney film of the same name, is a playable character in the game, which is likely a reference to the fact that in the film, Ralph "game jumps" through different arcade games. The game including Ralph might reference the fact that Sonic, Dr. Eggman, Tails, and other Sega characters appear in Wreck-It Ralph.
- With the exception of Tails and Amigo, all of the characters that appear on Transformed's cover (Sonic, Dr. Eggman, AiAi) also appear on Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing cover.
- Similarly, Aiai is the only non-Sonic character on Transformed's cover.
- This is the first Sonic game to have a guest character that is not a video game character.
- This is also the first Sonic game to feature a real-life celebrity as a playable character.
- It is noticeable that Danica Patrick has the Hot Wheels and GoDaddy logos on her car.
- Just like its prequel, this game uses recycled voice clips from previous Sonic games, notably from Sonic Generations.
- Again, none of the Sonic voice actors were credited in the credits.
- Ocean View is the only new stage in the game that has been based off a stage (that stage being Seaside Hill) previous used on SEGA All-Stars Racing tracks, which are Whale Lagoon, Lost Palace, and Ocean Ruin.
- Similar to its prequel, the PS3 version does not get an exclusive character.
- Sonic Universe Issue 45 ties in to this game, making it the first stand-alone issue of the series to crossover with a video game. It also marks the first appearance of non-Sonic characters in the comic series, such as Beat and Vyse.
- This is the first game in the Sega Superstars/Sega All-Stars series to have an RPG series represented.
- If one fails an event multiple times, a quiet mocking laughter can be heard.
- If the player attempts to turn down the audio for the voices or audience, the announcer will attempt to stop the player and ridicule them or boo them, respectively.
- Some re-used sound files are from Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Sumo Digital Start-Up) and Star Fox Assault (Pressing A/X whilst on the slot machine with no tokens).
- Amigo is the only mute character in the game, only communicating via whistle blows.
- This is not counting Metal Sonic in the Bonus Edition.
- This game and its original both have Seaside Hill as their background on the cover.
- Unlike the first game which had three female characters counting the player's Mii/Avatar, this time there are six, counting the player's Mii/Avatar if it's a girl.
- The announcer does not say "Final Lap" in the console/PC versions when the player is on his/her final lap of the race.
- Unlike Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing, the Xbox 360 Avatars and Miis are given voices.
- In Sonic Universe Issue 45, Danica's car has Sonic's icon on the front.
- Similar to its prequel, Silver is the only hedgehog in the main-console series to not have an appearance in this game.
- Several tracks and even background music sound similar to a real-world or another game track:
- Graffiti City has a similar beat to Justin Timberlake's SexyBack. Also, parts of Jeh Jeh Rocket from the stage Huge Crisis in Sonic Rush and parts of the Shamar Daytime stage music from Sonic Unleashed appears in this track, as well.
- Samba Studios has a part and reuses the "Hey!" from Back 2 Back, which was on Water Palace from Sonic Rush.
- Race of Ages has a track design similar to Crash Nitro Kart's Android Alley, as both of the tracks are yellow, have very slick turns and have narrow paths.
- World Tour mode is labeled as having you travel from island to island while saving charactrers that you unlock.
- The "Takes AGES" achievement features an image of Tarō Sega, the main protagonist of the Japan-exclusive game Segagaga.
- It is possible to bypass the transformation gates in courses as a glitch. The character needs to move as close to the gate as possible and then face the opposite direction until the 'Wrong Way' sign appears. After the 'Wrong Way' sign appears for a while (the character will be respawned), the character will respawn in front of the transformation gate without going through it, which means the player could attempt to drive as a boat at car sections or drive a plane on boat sections etc.
- This, however, may be fixed in some of the versions due to patches.
- Vyse Is the only character who does not use recycled voice clips from his own game. He is voiced by Roger Craig Smith, who is also Sonic's voice actor in this game.
- This the first Sonic game to have Steam Trading Cards on Steam.
- Pudding has her outfit from Space Channel 5.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found